The Market Basket Timeline
from Ousted to Today.
- June 23, 2014 – Arthur T. Demoulas, William Marsden, and Joseph Rockwell were Ousted. Felicia Thorton (former Albertsons CEO) & James Gooch (former Radio Shack CEO) replace Arthur T. as co-CEOs.
- June 24, 2014 – Outside the Chelsea Market Basket location about 300 employees rally while a few longtime upper management employees quit.
- June 26, 2014 – The Market Basket Board of Directors decides to fire the employees at the company-owned golf club, but decides not to after media attention. New co-CEOs James & Felecia decide to keep current management in place.
- July 16, 2014 – Employees at the headquarters in Tewksbury, Ma demand former CEO Arthur T. Demoulas to be reinstated in writing and request a response by 4:30 the following day (July 17, 2014)
- July 17, 2014 – The new co-CEO’s respond to the letter by telling employees that the board will meet and address the demands the following Monday. The employees reject the response, plan both a rally and walk-out for the following day.
- July 18, 2014 – An estimated 2,500 employees and customers gather at the Market Basket headquarters in Tewksbury, Ma. Employees at Rally voice their plans to shut down the company.
- July 19, 2014 – Seventeen MA lawmakers sign a letter urging the boycott of Market Basket. Market Basket produce, meats, and other perishable items quickly begin to dissipate.
- July 20, 2014 – Eight upper management Market Basket employees were fired by courier due to their involvement with organizing the protests.
- July 21, 2014 – Arthur T. Demoulas issues a statement demanding the return of the fired employees while an estimated 5000 rally outside the Tewksbury Market Basket location. Market Basket employees begin demanding shoppers to boycott.
- July 22, 2014 – Market Basket co-CEOs James Gooch and Felicia Thornton issue a statement saying they saw no other alternative but to carry out the firings that happened on July 20th.